About Shockwave Therapy
Shockwave Therapy, or Extracorporeal Shockwave Therapy (ESWT) has been used safely and effectively in Europe for over 30 years, and in North America for over 20 years.
The technology is based on lithotripsy, which is used in Hospitals to effectively treat kidney stones and gall stones. Now, this technology is being used to successfully treat a wide range of orthopaedic conditions, such as muscle, tendon and ligament injuries. It is also been proven to be highly effective in treating a wide range of chronic pain conditions, urological conditions, and neurological conditions (such as 'pinched nerves').
The device generates a high-energy percussion sound wave (or 'physical' shock) which is applied to the affected tissue. There is no 'electrical' shock (as seen in other treatments, such as TENS and Interferential Current).
How does it work?
- Treatment accelerates the healing process (promotes the remodeling of dysfunctional collagenous tissues, such as tendinopathies, trigger points, muscle strains, etc.).
- Shockwaves break down scar tissue and/or calcification
- Transmission of pain is diminished through neurological mechanisms (inhibition of nociceptors)
- There is increased metabolic activity around the site of pain or injury (leading to a strengthening of damaged ligaments, tendons and other tissues).
What are the benefits of Shockwave Treatment?
This therapy stimulates the body's natural self-healing process. There is actually an immediate reduction of pain and improved range of motion.
• ESWT is a non-surgical approach that may eliminate your need for surgery.
• Results are rapid compared to conventional treatments
• High level of safety
• Highly effective for eliminating Chronic Pain
• Successful for injuries and conditions that have not responded to other forms of therapy
• May eliminate the need for medication use
What is the success rate of this kind of treatment?
Worldwide, success rates are around 80 to 90% (even for conditions that are chronic and have not responded to other types of care).
What conditions can be treated with ESWT?
Almost every musculoskeletal injury.